Skip to main content

Pimsleur Japanese


I've been waiting to do this one. Why? Because Pimsleur offers amazing audio tapes for a multitude of languages! What's more is that they do them well. As a repititious learner, these CDs did wonders for me. They also made me go broke, but the price is well worth it, and if you can get it used, it should only cost you little more than $100.

Pimsleur's motto says that you don't have to read Japanese at all, the point of fluency being able to hold casual conversation. I don't agree with the Stroll Learning company on that one, so I do recommend that you learn Hiragana at least before tackling these. The pronunciation guide is very good, but if you start with, say, Power Japanese, you'll be able to master it faster and with much more accuracy.

Now, one thing I do agree with Pimsleur on is this: the reason why no one remembers the languages they "learned" in high school is simply this: they don't teach you how to actually speak. They teach you a bunch of vocabulary, some grammar rules, and then you have to peice them together without actually learning how casual Spanish, German, French, etc. people actually speak. It reminds me of a book I was reading, in which a woman traveling in Japan came accross a teacher who boasted that this lady probably couldn't pass an English test in Japan. She. the traveler, replied, "No, I probably couldn't. However I can do something your students can't do: communicate." That's paraphrased, by the way, but it's completely true. You can learn all the grammar trivia, punctuation, etc., but until you can actually hold a conversation with someone and be understood, you're nothing more than a student. Well, you'll always be a student, but you get the point.

What Pimsleur does is it engages you in real conversation, forcing you to answer as a Japanese person would, not as a textbook would encourage. It still manages to implement some of the various forms of politenss, since the Japanese live by the rules of heirarchy, and, what's better, the information is very easy to retain. That's why I recommend it.

The first few lessons are very easy, and for the absolute beginner. Even if you're not an absolute beginner, however, I recommend you listen to them anyway. They'll get trickier later on, and you'll probably have to listen to them a few times in order to understand it. Since the Japanese is spoken up to speed, it'll really tune your ear.

Now for the bad. First of all, they're priced horribly high. In order to recieve even one of the three volumes, Stroll demands that you chop off either an arm or leg with a blunt axe and offer it to the Stroll Learning Company as a burnt sacrifice! Okay, I've seen CDs at a higher price, and at $274, it's well worth your money. Now, you could download them via a torrent, but I recommend buying them, as I'm still waiting for Pimsleur to release the rest of the Hungarian volumes, as well as start on the Finnish tapes. It seems that every language company hates Finns, for some strange reason. I want to learn the Scandinavian languages my ancestors spoke, darn it!

Anyway, another bad thing about them is that the woman is Chinese, not Japanese. At least, that's what I think. The man is a native Japanese speaker, so copy him. Ignore the woman's pronunciation, unless you want to speak Japanese with a Chinese accent.

All in all, it's a great series. Moreover, it's one of the only language-learning companies that actually promises that you only have to devote 30 minutes of your day in order to learn it quickly, and they actually deliver! Most of the time, when you see a book that promises to teach you a language in 10 minutes, you should avoid them at all cost. Pimsleur is the one exception to this rule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragonball Evolution - Ugh!

I'm sure many of you have probably already seen the trailer, but in case you haven't, here it is: I was inspired to do this by the live-action Avatar movie coming out. Like pretty much every animated show to get the live-action treatment, Dragonball doesn't look so great. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm not the franchise's biggest fan, but after years of being forced to suffer through episode after episode, I can safely say that I'd rather watch any episode of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, or Dragonball GT rather than this movie. First of all, it looks like it's going to utterly kill the story, and there wasn't too much of that to begin with. In fact, this looks like it's going to be a coming-of-age, keep your teenage sons busy for a night kind of movie. As far as Goku goes, well, he probably shouldn't look like a little skinny guy. He's a big, buff fighting dude whose hair turns blonde when he gets all pumped up. I mean, even those Ember

Review for LingQ - Redone!

I really wanted to do a review for LingQ , and I wound up doing a long and crazy post about things that didn't have much to do with LingQ. As such, I am redoing this post in hopes of better clarifying what LingQ is and how well it works. For starters, anyone even remotely familiar with Steve Kauffman will know that he's a huge supporter of what is normally called the input method. That basically means that you learn a language simply through exposure to it. No grammar drills, just listening, reading, and anything else you can think of that will expose you to the language. As such, that is exactly what LingQ strives to do. The most frustrating thing about learning an Asian language through the input method, in my opinion, is that if you're reading a book or a non-editable pdf, if you come across a kanji you're not sure how to read, you can't just type it into a dictionary. That frustrates me a lot! That's why LingQ is so good about that. You just hover your mou

Valentine's Day in Japan!

It's a holiday, and I'm taking a break from an article I've been working on for my other blogs in order to have some fun. It's Valentine's Day, and I thought I'd let everyone know how it works in Japan, because it's not like it is here in America. Firstly, only women give chocolates in Japan. Traditionally speaking, women were supposed to be shy and all around not very good at communicating their feelings, thus Valentine's Day was a perfect way to help them out. Women give out chocolates on Valentine's Day not only to their friends and lover, but also to pretty much any man they know. When the giving of chocolate is obligatory, as is the case when a woman gives chocolates to her boss, coworker, etc., it is called giri-choko (ぎりーちょこ). This means that if you're visiting Japan and a girl you may kind of sort of know gives you some chocolate, don't think it means your advances have worked! She might just feel obligated to do so. The Japanese feel