Skip to main content

Learn Japanese With Audio Online for Almost Free!

I have officially found the solution to Pimsleur's price tag! It's called JapanesePod101.com, and it's full of audio files, .pdfs, and all kinds of stuff that makes Pimsleur look really outdated. Let's face it, the Internet never fails to amaze me, even after all this time. It makes it possible to do so much, and, combined with an iPod, CD Player, or some other portable audio device, it's possible to learn Japanese online and even while on-the-go, and not necessarily in your car, either. It's fun, interesting, and provides a lot more information with just the audio portions alone than anything else I've come across, etiher online or the old-fashioned CD player or cassett tape.

Now, I've known about this site for quite a while now, and I actually signed up for it a couple months ago. It took me a while because I would see their ads over all these sites, and seeing ads makes me think, "Another Rosetta Stone! Yikes!" However, I'm happy to report that this isn't the case. JapanesePod101.com, really is a very good way to learn if you don't want to invest in textbooks and just want something you can listen to in the background, complete with study materials, and all for practically nothing at all.

So, since I already reviewed Pimsleur, what exactly does JapanesePod101.com do that Pimsleur doesn't? For starters, it actually provides study materials. When you download a lesson, you may also download the lesson notes and even study material for kanji, which is excellent. The lesson notes aren't long, but rather brief and to the point, as the real meat comes from the audio lesson. Also, anything that includes lessons in writing is good in my book, whereas Pimsleur was pretty much audio only.

I also like that the dialogues in JapanesePod101.com are a lot more interesting than any other audio tape, CD, or even podcast I've found yet. Most of them, especially tapes made for being listened to in your car, are very boring. It's a good way to get in a traffic accident because you'll almost assuredly fall asleep.

JapanesePod101.com has its lessons set up as a sort of radio program. There's the English host, named Peter (he's from New York, so he has a bit of an accent), and then a variety of native speakers who act out the scene and provide valuable insight. There's a lot of banter and such that goes on so you don't usually feel like you're studying.

At the start of each lesson, either Peter will welcome the listeners and introduce the native speakers joining him in the studio and then start the dialogue, or the dialogue will start first and the lesson pick up afterwards. Usually it's the former, and it isn't long before you feel like you're really getting to know everyone there.

The lessons run between 15 and 25 minutes, so while they're not too long, they're not too short, either. In fact, there have been times in my listening where I don't really want the lesson to end! To have used this program for 2 months now and still feel this energized about it, it must be doing something right.

It also takes you a lot farther than I've seen virtually anything else. It's got newbie lessons, beginner lessons, and three different levels of intermediate lessons. Some people complain that there are no advanced lessons, and JapansePod101.com responds by saying that they believe you should learn primarily from native Japanese media (books and movies) than through lessons at that stage. I agree wholeheartedly with this philosophy. It's possible to learn through media earlier than that, but some people like to get the grammar and such down really well before diving into the real media. And, to be perfectly honest, I'm an advanced learner, and I still enjoy these lessons!

They also do a lot more than teach you words, phrases, and grammar (not to mention written Japanese), but they also teach you how to get through customs, provide cultural insight, and go the extra mile in general so that you feel confident about going to Japan.

It's also very affordable - moreso than any other program I've come across. The basic membership is $4/month, which is practically free. You get access to all the audio lessons and notes, not to mention the kanji lessons, which worth a lot more than the $4 they ask of you, and I doubt you'll find a deal like that anywhere else.

The premium membership is only $10/month, which is still very affordable, and it's what I use. You get everything in the basic, obviously, but you also get to use their dictionaries, grammar checker, take quizzes, see the dialogue translations side-by-side, get the bonus tracks, and a ton of other stuff. I recommend this membership the most, just because there's so much content it's mind-blowing.

The last type is premium plus, which is $26/month and contains a lot of one-on-one stuff, which I won't slam by any means, but I haven't upgraded to this membership type.

Like all sites, there's some bad about this one, too. In a lot of their ads, you'll see, "Learn Japanese - Free" or something similar. This is a bit misleading. You get a 7-day premium trial after which you have to pick a membership type, so to use phrases like "free lifetime account" is gross misrepresentation, and due to that, many people who could greatly benefit from this website believe it's a scam. Heck, even I had to do further research on it first, because when my trial ended, I was all like, "What the heck?" So be careful of that little snag.

Also, it bombards you with emails. I had to send the stuff to the junk mail and spam folder, as it was just horribly annoying. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's massive amounts of emails sent by a single company. I even set up a seperate email account just for when I register to sites, because I don't trust them a lick.

It can also be hard to figure out where to start once you sign up. I think if you're completely new to the language, you're supposed to start at Newbie Season 2, then go through Newbie Season 3, then Beginner Season 4, as those all build on each other. The other seasons are stand alone seasons, and while they all seem to be very good, the sheer amount of them is overwhelming, and they don't all use the same characters and stories. I highly recommend you browse the seasons when you first start and find the one you like the most and are learning the most from.

The only other thing I can think of is that the forums are a bit slow, but there are so many good forums for learning Japanese that I can forgive this one.

All in all, it's an excellent website and I highly recommend you check it out. If you're an academic type of person, you might want to use a suppliment with the site, but for inputters, a lot of this site is good as-is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragonball Evolution - Ugh!

I'm sure many of you have probably already seen the trailer, but in case you haven't, here it is: I was inspired to do this by the live-action Avatar movie coming out. Like pretty much every animated show to get the live-action treatment, Dragonball doesn't look so great. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm not the franchise's biggest fan, but after years of being forced to suffer through episode after episode, I can safely say that I'd rather watch any episode of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, or Dragonball GT rather than this movie. First of all, it looks like it's going to utterly kill the story, and there wasn't too much of that to begin with. In fact, this looks like it's going to be a coming-of-age, keep your teenage sons busy for a night kind of movie. As far as Goku goes, well, he probably shouldn't look like a little skinny guy. He's a big, buff fighting dude whose hair turns blonde when he gets all pumped up. I mean, even those Ember

Everybody Dance Now!

I decided to do something random today and post some of the dances from anime, video games, etc. Why? Because I feel like it. Don't ask that question. Okay, if you really must know, I was going to write a semi-political critique of Japan's crappy education system, but then I went on Youtube and felt my braincells die one by one. As such, I'll wait until the ramen I just age reinvigorates them! The first video (above, obviously) is from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya , and the song is called "Hare Hare Yukai". Everybody knows this one. They perform it at conventions, random public places (I'm glad I live in a small town!), and just wherever they want to. If you don't know this dance, you probably live in a hole. Just kidding. You just haven't seen the anime, don't go to conventions, and don't use Youtube. This is the opening to the crappy game, Final Fantasy X-2 . I've never seen it in English and I don't really want to. Final Fantas

Valentine's Day in Japan!

It's a holiday, and I'm taking a break from an article I've been working on for my other blogs in order to have some fun. It's Valentine's Day, and I thought I'd let everyone know how it works in Japan, because it's not like it is here in America. Firstly, only women give chocolates in Japan. Traditionally speaking, women were supposed to be shy and all around not very good at communicating their feelings, thus Valentine's Day was a perfect way to help them out. Women give out chocolates on Valentine's Day not only to their friends and lover, but also to pretty much any man they know. When the giving of chocolate is obligatory, as is the case when a woman gives chocolates to her boss, coworker, etc., it is called giri-choko (ぎりーちょこ). This means that if you're visiting Japan and a girl you may kind of sort of know gives you some chocolate, don't think it means your advances have worked! She might just feel obligated to do so. The Japanese feel